Saturday, January 30

the day that didn't turn out the best

We went to our friend Saxon's birthday party this morning. It was fun, and my kids LOVE Saxon. He is in their preschool group.

While we were there Tyson got called into the hospital, so we left early.
Hey, that's ok, we still had fun!

We went home, and read this book. It is one of my all time favorites.


I decided to take the kids to the Great Park where the big orange balloon is because they were having a SNOW day to kick off the opening of the new ice skating rink.

The park brought in SNOW from the mountain to build snowmen in, sled in, and have snowball fights in.

The advertisements for it looked amazing. I am picturing a WINTER WONDERLAND, no people (because no one is ever at the park), and fun!

Did I mention it was FREE?

What could be better?

So we pack up and leave. Can I just tell you that EVERY Southern California resident had the same idea. They came in hordes of over dressed (dare I say, heat exhausted) children and adults outfitted in snow get up for a blizzard. I mean, we are talkin' moon boots, ski bibs, and mittens.

They had toboggans, sleds, and cameras.

We waited in line to get into the park for 30 minutes.
(Winter Wonderland still going through my head)

We walked at least a mile (before we realized they had a shuttle) from our car to the snow.
(Winter Wonderland still dancing in my mind)



We get to the SNOW. There are TWO small areas of snow. Both are hidden by a million people trying to make a snowman or go sledding. You couldn't even SEE the snow.
It was ridiculous.

The part of snow we could get on was muddy from melting and mixing with the dirt.
(The exact reason I hated living in Utah, melting, sloshing snow.)

We turned around and left.

On the walk back to the car, we saw a piece of snow.

The twins stepped in it, and we called it a day.

Not every adventure can be LOADS of fun, but every adventure has memories, and this one definitely was MEMORABLE!

6 love notes:

RaeAnn said...

Hey!! That is about how much snow that we get!!! I guess your secret park is not a secret anymore!!! Sorry it was a bust!!!
Love ya!!!

Tyson Smith said...

Everyone always talks about how beautiful it is when it snows, they always forget the part when it turns very quickly into ugly, muddy, sloshing snow.
I am glad that you had a memorable experience at least.

Sally said...

I never talk about how beautiful snow is. I hate it with my whole heart, soul and being. And there is at least two feet of dirty, slushy disgusting snow outside my house. Pity me.

But you are right, you now have a great "Remember the time..." memory!

Alix Hart said...

You can come to ND and play in our snow anytime. We have snow banks on either side of our drive way that are six feet tall and you can't see the fence in our backyard because the snow connects with the snow drift of our neighbors backyard. There's got to be a happy medium out there somewhere, right?

Tiffany said...

Love that book! It is one of our favorite preschool books.

Shari said...

At least the twins got to step in some. That's always what my kids like best.